Friday, June 18, 2010

The Windup Girl

Hey all, I'm back. Next one up was The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi. It's a fantasy novel based in the future (who knows when), after genetic mutations have essentially diseased the world into just a few major cities that struggle to exist against diseases and warfare.

So.

Because, in the book, diseases have wiped out most of the world's natural resources, calories are considered currency- a means to survival. The beginning is fascinating, seeing people's priorities so different, with things like ice being considered a luxury because of the cost of cooling systems.

But then... I got really bored. It's set in Thailand, which I don't know much about, and the cultural customs and language tidbits Bacigalupi threw in there were, I'll be honest, overwhelming. Add to that the terminology that he uses for future technology and, well, I was done. I literally kept reading only because my other books hadn't come from the library. Things about Bacigalupi's writing irritated me and frankly, I'm a bit picky. I started keeping a tally of how many times he used certain words (he called one character "dour" five times in the first 7 chapters or so, and said "tomes" 4 in the same amount of time) because I was annoyed. But I kept reading... and I'm glad I did.

So here's the thing. I like reading about people in desperate situations. Maybe it's a little sick, but I think humans are fascinating in the way we deal with conflict, war, famine, family struggles... whatever. I love reading about, when the rubber meets the road, which survival instinct takes over. I think Bacigalupi does a great job of showing the different ways that people react in dire situations.

So do I recommend this book? Yes. I had a difficult time getting past the hundred page marker, but once I did, I was hooked. Especially if you like the idea of post-apocalyptic, futuristic survival... this one's for you.

So who are my fantasy fans out there? Anything I should know when reading fantasy in the future? I'm not that familiar with the genre; what makes a good fantasy novel? Will you give this one a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment