Sunday, June 27, 2010

Catching Fire

Okay, this one's a special one- Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. It's the second book in The Hunger Games series, and the 3rd is coming out in August.

This one is special because my darling friend Rhonda pestered me for weeks and weeks on end, beginning in March or so, to read the series. I explained to her that I simply had too many books in line, but that in 2011 I'd give it some thought if she was lucky. She returned gloating later to inform me that Catching Fire was on the list, so I'd have to read it... and I think she may have added a few nyah nyahs in there, too.

So, Rhonda knows how I feel about the series, because after the first one, The Hunger Games, I called her and firmly announced that I hated her for getting me hooked, and then we dissected. We also did this yesterday afternoon when I finished the second book in a record 5 hours.

So, on to the book. I LOVED IT. Can't you tell? Let me explain a bit.

The Hunger Games, which is where I have to start, is about a semi post-apocalyptic country that formed in which one central government rules dictatorially over twelve districts. To show off their power, once a year, one male and one female citizen between the ages of 12 and 18 from each district (24 in all) are drawn from a hat and thrown into an arena in which they fight to the death... on television. And the Games are required viewing for the whole country.

Fascinating, right? It is. But here's my favorite part. The characters are sheer brilliance. They're endearing but human, survivalists with hearts, strong and strong-willed but compassionate... I loved every single page. The story line, which I think is genius, would have been nothing without these characters.

I know that I'm basically writing a review on The Hunger Games, not Catching Fire, but for a good reason- I needed to set the foundation. Catching Fire has the same characters, but more of the good vs. evil battle that I love so much. This was amazing and strong, a great sequel that stands alone as its own without riding on the success of the previous book.

So there, I loved it. Will you read it? I promise, it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment