Monday, June 21, 2010

Asterios Polyp

Hey all! Next one was Asterios Polyp, by David Mazzucchelli, the cartoonist. Asterios Polyp is the name of the main character, an architect in the 70s-ish.

So, the thing about this is that it's a graphic novel. I cringed at the thought, but this is A-MAZING. Changed my perspective on the possibilities that a graphic novel holds. This isn't like an anime graphic novel or anything- it emphasizes the word novel. Mazzucchelli is witty and interesting and detailed, dealing with serious issues that happen to be done in cartoon. As character's views or feelings change, he draws them differently, highlighting the differences in perspective. He uses different colors when illustrating past and present, making the book easy to read. I was constantly surprised, intrigued, and in suspense.

Can you tell I loved it? In short, I think Mazzucchelli's a genius.

The bad news is sort of minor, and you may not be affected by it. There were a few sex scenes that I thought were either unnecessary, or could have been less... revealing. I'm pretty conservative though, so you may not care about that at all, or be bothered by it.

Alright, so there you have it. Look into it, please. Artistically, it's stimulating and easy to follow. Intellectually, it's riveting and detailed; I could have poured over this for a long, long time, soaking in every little thing. Will you take a chance and look for it? Have you got a graphic novel favorite?

Anyways, let me know your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment