Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Some Things That Meant the World to Me

Okay, back to the adult books, shall we? Next one on the list was Some Things That Meant the World to Me by Joshua Mohr.

I hate expectations. Unfortunately, I'm also a daydreamer, so by the time I get a book that I order for-ev-er ago, I've thought through what the book might be about, why the waiting is so long, why so many people like it, etc. Especially when a book has a title that seems so sappy, my mind runs wild. Most often I'm wrong, but rarely am I so dead wrong that I think I may have accidentally had a lobotomy. Thanks Mr. Mohr for making me feel crazy.

I pictured something totally different, something gushy and thankful, a memoir perhaps, maybe the diary of a Depression-era girl... I don't know! What I didn't expect, however, was the fictional story of a man, reliving his terrible past through nightmares and hallucinations that have made him CRA-ZY. Like, certifiable. I almost put the book down more than once, but I had accidentally read the acknowledgements in the back first (and let me tell you, I recommend it. They're funny), and that was literally the only reason I kept reading. I'm glad I did though, and here's why. Rarely have I found a book that is so... tweaked, so messed up, so sad... and with such heart. Really. And it's not sappy AT ALL! Mohr finds a way to cruelly show the abuses the character (a boy named Rhonda) goes through in all their vulgarity and still give you hope that, in some messed up way, we'll all find where we're meant to be. It was nice in a twisted sort of way.

So, there you have it. I definitely recommend it, but with a catch- it's not for those with weak stomachs, you know? It's not terrible, but I would absolutely say that you should approach it with caution. If you think you're interested, give it a shot! Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment