Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The Signal

Next one up (last week) was The Signal by Ron Carlson.

I finished this book like a week ago, and I just never got around to the post. I guess that lack of motivation says something about the way I feel about this book.

It was... okay. The plot is centered on a divorced couple going on a fishing trip that's been a tradition of theirs since before they were married. Not a drama necessarily, the book was more of an "ode to nature" and the Wyoming wilderness. It was written in this slow and steady pace that makes me think of an old cowboy... or Hemingway. And let me tell you, I canNOT stand Hemingway. So picturing the author as a cowboy made it easier. :)

Now, the good stuff. I really liked the plot. I liked the simplicity of the work and the way it unfolded. It was refreshing to read something that wasn't in your face- it was filled with the couple's nuances and hurt feelings.

Unfortunately, it was forgettable. That's all I really have to say... to elaborate would probably be to put the book down, and I don't want to do that. I really did like it.

So, the recommendation. Yes, of course, I would say read it. It didn't change my life, but it was interesting and endearing. If you like Hemingway's pace, Carlson's a good idea for you. If you don't like Hemingway or cowboys... well, then, skip it.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment