Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Strength in What Remains

So, book 3 on the list (which I've counted out to be, removing duplicates, officially 155 books) is Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder. It was a Pulitzer Prize winner and I suppose I'll start by saying that the award was completely deserved.

The book itself is a true story, about a medical student named Deo from Burundi, told to the author while he was living in New York. Escaping attacks, uprisings, and genocides, he comes to the United States and starts over, living in parks and crack houses in order to survive. His story is compelling and heart-wrenching. While those that help him give me hope in humanity and foster a triumph of the human spirit that is unique to truly devastating stories, overall, I felt extreme sorrow. He is a survivor like few others in history, and his story isn't over. He seems to have a lot of work ahead of him- he's trying to help those like him. Like many, he sees the extreme conditions, especially in medical treatment, as part of the reason for the warring. He says:
"'By all means, let's do prevention! Prevent people from suffering! Don't wait for people to feel like their lives are not worth living. Once they feel that way, how are they going to feel about another person's life?'" (p 155)

The bad news is this: I didn't really like the book. It was wonderfully written, thought-provoking, and engulfing. Deo is a hero in a way I could never, ever be. The author writes:
"When Deo first told me about his beginnings in New York, I had a simple thought: 'I would not have survived.'"
I know how he feels- I thought that repeatedly throughout the book. It was a graphic account without being gory, detailed but not overly so. The problem is that, quite frankly, I cannot imagine this life. I know it's true for more of the world than I understand, and that disliking it doesn't make it not reality. It is quite real, and this book brings much of it to light. As a matter of fact, beyond not liking the book, I'm very glad it was written. The story of Deo, and of others like him, should be told- it needs to be told. I am being painfully honest when I say that I simply didn't like hearing it. I know that this devastation occurs, but I'm not sure I have the stomach for it. I would sit, shocked, rereading parts when he talks about wading through a river full of bodies, unable to grasp the horror of it. Almost as terrible was reading about the people that ridiculed him in the United States- one boss would poke him with a stick to get his attention because Deo spoke French, not English. I was, quite simply, appalled. The author knew the story needed to be told, but it was hard for him too. He writes:
"Sometimes I felt that to remind him of the past was to traumatize him all over again. On several occasions, I offered to stop my search for his story and let his memories die, if they would. Once or twice, I hoped he would accept my offer. But he always declined." (p 161)

The good news is that the book is marvelous. Even though I didn't like it, I'm glad-very glad- that I read it. I was challenged to see the world differently, to begin to take off the red, white, and blue tinted glasses that most Americans live with. I would recommend this book wholeheartedly, with the warning that it won't be easy to get through. Not one for nonfiction, I was glad that I read a book I wouldn't otherwise have picked up. I am in awe of the strength that it takes to survive some of the most awful things, and so thankful that the stories are being told. Please, please, give it a go. Challenge yourself with this book! If you do, or did, what did you think? I would love to hear other thoughts on this!

No comments:

Post a Comment