Monday, March 8, 2010

Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned

So next on the list was Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned, a collection of short stories by Wells Tower. There are 9 short stories, and thanks to a random turn of events, I was able to read them all today.

Though the short stories were all very different- set in different times, places, and with varying characters- they were all bound by, essentially, life being rotten. Not to say that they're all depressing (though most are); there's a fair amount of humor and irony. Most of the stories, it seemed, had to do with people making their bed and then having to lay in it.

A few of the stories were particularly enjoyable, and they were all well-written. I obviously was interested in them; I read them all in one day. I was impressed by Tower's ability to engage me in a character's lackluster life in twenty to thirty pages, and I think it's probably why more than one Powell's staffer recommended this collection. I didn't particularly love the book, but I could appreciate it. I think what struck me the most was how much the stories tended to be... real. Tower made observations based on everyday circumstances that were totally relatable and took worst-case scenarios and made them true to life. I would definitely recommend it to some of my more cynical friends (you know who you are), though I wouldn't read it again. I would probably read more of Tower's stories in the future, though.

Have you read any of these stories? Check them out and gimme some feedback! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment