Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lark & Termite

The next book I received from the library was Lark & Termite, by Jayne Anne Phillips, named after two of the main characters, a barely-teenage girl and her special needs brother.

So, as I read the book, I would see things and think, "Ah, that's interesting. I'll write that down for the blog." And I did, dutifully jotting down pages numbers and references on my bookmark, the library receipt dated this last Friday. (Fun fact: I'm obsessed with bookmarks, literally- but I tend to lose them, and I certainly can't write on them, so I put the receipts to good use, though it pains me to not use something prettier.) So anyways, I felt like I was starting to get the hang of this blogging thing, and that these little notes would be wonderfully helpful, and I'd be able to write something insightful and informative in less than a half an hour once I finished the book.

Here's the thing though: this list keeps surprising me. The books keep surprising me. Just when I think I've gotten something figured out, I get thrown for a loop. Lark & Termite is a wonderful example of this.

So, when I read that the book was about a girl that takes care of her special needs brother, I thought, "Oh great. Let's get the tissues ready!" But the book is so much more. Set in the 1950s, the book tells several difficult, entwined stories- that of a soldier in the Korean War, the story of sisters that were as complicated as they come, the self-discovery of a young girl named Lark, and the compelling, interesting view of a 9-year-old special needs boy, nicknamed Termite. All of these relationships and plot lines flowed seamlessly through each others' lives, dwelling in the past and stubbornly digging their heels in. More than just a war story, or a coming-of-age tale, this book is the story of bonds that are unexplainable. To put any stigma or stereotype on them would be to rob them of their depth.

Foolishly, about halfway through, I thought that sex was the major theme of the book. In a way, it is- it's ever-present and a major player in how many of the relationships were and continue to be played out. But sex is merely the tool that Phillips uses to complicate the lives of every character, allowing it to evoke self-discovery, the struggle for control, the struggle for power, and vulnerability. It was tastefully written and not vulgar, which I appreciated.

I think I liked this book. My feelings about it are complex, which is fitting. I didn't love it, but I very much appreciated its thoughtfulness. The descriptions, especially from the viewpoint of Termite, were fresh and appealing and confusing and wonderful. Lark was my favorite character though- many of the things I wrote down were from her perspective, but I realize that they don't really say anything about the book, so I'll let you discover them instead. The metaphors alone I could teach on for an entire semester, were I a professor somewhere instead of a blogger wrapped in my grandmother's crocheted blanket.

The bad news is this: I can't tell you much more than I already have. Part of what is brilliant is the unveiling of the story- the twists and turns and forks in the road. I will say that if you think any of this is remotely appealing, if you want to understand what I'm babbling about or go meandering with the characters, please, please, give it a shot. It certainly isn't for everyone, but I was glad I read it, though I'm as confused as I ever was... though somehow, it's pleasant, and I enjoyed myself.

What did you think? I would love to get feedback- I know y'all are reading! Does this make you want to read the book, or dismiss it? If you read it, what were your opinions?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Love! Hope all is good with you and the hubby and that Oregon is treating you two well. I think what you're doing with this reading list is awesome! I'm definitely gonna have to read some of the ones you recommend because I remember from HS we had/have very similar taste in books. I just finished my book from the library ("Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"--I think you would like it if you want to add another to your crazy list..lol). I need to take it back so I am seriously considering picking this book up now. I love books that have intertwining stories and ones that get better and better and make more and more sense as you read.

    ReplyDelete