Monday, April 26, 2010

When You Reach Me

Howdy! I know this is a lot of blogs quickly, but what can I say? I'm making up for lost time. Oh yeah, and this one was a kid's book... it was When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead.

The verdict- it was wonderful! It was just less than 200 pages of preteen glory, and I relished it. Obviously it's not what I'm used to reviewing, but I'd say it's a good one for adults too.

So, the protagonist is a twelve-year-old girl named Miranda, and she's growing up in New York City. I think if I had to describe what I loved about this book, I would choose the word balance. You see, it was diverse without being obvious or soap-boxy. It was whimsical without being too out there. It was childish with adult thrown in. It was moral with some random. It was the perfect balance, for me, of important elements that, when taken too far, can make a book (especially a children's book) super stereotyped.

Oh, and did I mention that a large part of the book is a nod to Madeline L'Engle's A Wrinkle in Time? No? Well then, now you know... and there's nothing that I love more than a book paying tribute to another book.

The problem?

I've never read A Wrinkle in Time. *gasp!* I know, I know- I didn't hear about it 'til junior high, and by then, I had started reading Stephen King and Anne Rice. And some H.G. Wells, of course... but I thought I was past L'Engle. Whoops.

So, I got the book without catching the references as quickly as others might, but it was still absolutely delightful. A quick, easy, entertaining, inspiring read.

Now I challenge you to read it, just for entertainment's sake. Or recommend it to a tween. Who would you recommend it to? Are there any children's books you wish you could pay tribute to?

No comments:

Post a Comment